“He has told you oh mortal what is good and what does the Lord require of you? But to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8
According to Micah 6:8, we have three requirements as people of faith, to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God. The Charleston Area Justice Ministry is the vehicle congregations use to “do justice”.
The Charleston Area Justice Ministry (CAJM) is an organization composed of religious congregations and other community organizations. Our member organizations, of diverse racial, religious, and economic backgrounds, pledge to work together to research and conduct public education to address the root causes of poverty and injustice, through the empowerment of marginalized people.
We successfully win changes for our community through our power of large numbers of people. Our vision of the organization is 52:1. If we can turn out our Average Worship Attendance (AWA) 52 times a year for faithfulness ministry (walking humbly with God), we ought to be able to turn out that same number of people once a year to “do justice” at our annual Nehemiah Action.
We effectively turn out our AWA by building Justice Ministry Networks in our congregations through the help of CAJM. To become a member of CAJM, congregations publicly enter into a covenant with the following requirements; (DOWNLOAD THE PDF)
_____________________________ (name of the congregation), enters into a covenant with CAJM for the purpose of more successfully practicing our values in our community by:
1. Building a Justice Ministry Network in our congregation;
2. Engaging in a listening process, training leaders, developing solutions, and taking action to improve community conditions;
3. Accepting responsibility for the financial health of the organization by contributing annually and by supporting CAJM fundraising efforts;
4. Voicing the concerns of the members of our congregations during Assemblies and fully supporting the agreed upon goals; and finally
5. Selecting leaders (Justice Ministry Team members) from our congregation to attend all CAJM Leadership Senate meetings.
Treva Williams-CAJM Lead Organizer
©2017 Charleston Area Justice Ministry